The history books tell us that there were two timber towers with Spires one on each side of the church at the west end. Built in the early 18th Century, the southern most of these towers decayed and fell down, a century later , the northern most tower being removed during the 1872 restoration. The restoration being supervised by Mr. George E. Street, R.A. of Cavendish Square.
We are fortunate to have two water colours painted during the period of the Rev’d. Thomas Debary 1868 – 1872. these pictures show the interior of the church. They show that there were high box pews, a superb multi-layer Pulpit on the southern side of the nave.
The traceried screen, now within the eastern most arch of the north aisle, is shown across the north aisle, with pews to the east side, possibly forming the Chantry built by Thomas Ultyng? At high level across the west end of the church a tiered gallery was installed and it was from this that members of the village band formed the church orchestra providing musical accompaniment during Services . The names of some of these performers are on record; Viz.: John Tavener; —Ellis; —Eve; and —Turpin. their instruments being Flute; Violin; and Base Viol. The village band gave way to an organ, this also was placed in the gallery, but in the middle of the 19th century this too was superseded by an organ at the east end of the north aisle, as can be determined from the Debary painting. This organ in its turn gave way to the present instrument, given by Mrs. W. M. Tufnell in 1891, this instrument has a total of 952 pipes.
The clock, made by Thurles and Read of Clerkenwell, was erected “To the Glory of God and in commemoration of the Golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Tufnell by the Parishioners of Hatfield Peverel, 11th May, 1891. Rev’d F. B. Toulmin; Vicar and C. W. Parker; and A. N. Shoobridge were the Churchwardens.